Saturday, January 26, 2013

BOTOX INJECTIONS FOR PALMAR HYPERHIDROSIS (aka sweaty palms)

A LITTLE BACKGROUND INFO:
 
I've had sweaty palms for as far back as I can remember, which adds up to nearly 30 years! My mother and grandmother had sweaty palms and assured me that I would outgrow it. As I approach age 40, I'm feeling like the time to "outgrow" something has pretty much come and gone!
 
As anyone who suffers from any kind of hyperhidrosis knows, it is frustrating to try one thing after the other, after the other...to no avail! I had given up on finding any kind of treatment until a year or so ago when I ran into information on botox injections for hyperhidrosis. I searched the Internet trying to find personal testimonials from people who'd had the procedure but had little luck finding anything.
 
A month ago I decided to go for it. I searched the web and called around until I found a dermatologist who had experience with palmar injections--I did not want to be a guinea pig! I scheduled an appt. and two weeks (and a 3 hour drive--I had to commute to a larger city to get botox in the palms) later I found myself in the dermatologist's office about to receive 50 (!!) shots in each palm.
 
THE PROCEDURE:
 
Bottom line: Botox is NOT cheap! It cost me $1000 to receive the injections. The clinic I went to only charged for the cost of botox for hyperhidrosis treatments. How kind! I had called a couple other clinics and they both charged about $300 for the service, on top of the $1000 or so for the botox. I was told by one clinic, that insurance may cover this treatment if you turn in some paperwork, with a doctor's help, explaining that you have tried other treatments unsuccessfully. Good new due to the high cost!!
 
 
Bottom line #2: Getting numerous shots in each palm is no picnic! I arrived early and had some numbing cream spread onto my palms. Then sat and waited (trying to relax) about a half an hour. The cream was removed and then the nurse used a machine (don't recall the name) to blow extremely cold air on my hands while the doc. began injections (the freezing cold helps numb and distract from the pain of the injections). My husband sat at my feet and squeezed my ankles, sometimes quite forcefully during the procedure and this was extremely helpful, too.
 
For me, the injections were NOT as bad as I expected. They were bearable! There is bleeding so if you are averse to that avoid looking at your palms until the nurse and doc get them cleaned up. The doctor was very fast and with a procedure like this, that is a great thing! But, immediately after the injection, my hands were Very bruised and sore. I was given an ice pack to hold onto and that helped a bit. Probably a combination of the freezing cold air that was being blown on my hands and adrenaline, but I found my legs were shaking a lot as I went to leave the office.
 
That evening and the next day, my hands were very tender. I had to have my car door opened for me and tried to avoid using my hands for anything requiring a lot of pressure. My palms were literally black and blue and a tad bit swollen. As bad as that may sound, the next morning I went out to breakfast with family and was able to feed myself! I worried that it might be painful to use a fork, etc. but I managed just fine.
 
No one can tell that you've just had a procedure unless you deliberately show them your black and blue palms. I was happy about this because I don't know how I would begin to explain what I'd done to someone who doesn't understand hyperhidrosis.
 
The nurse recommended putting Arnica cream on my hands so I bought some the day of the procedure and applied it a few times a day for a few days. By day 3 I was able to open my own car door. By day 4 the black and blue was basically gone.

Side effects: Once I really started using my hands again, I noticed some weakness in my right hand, especially in my thumb. At first it was a bit scary and disconcerting. I had to remind myself that this can happen with injections to the palms and it is NOT permanent. During the week after treatment, my hand muscles were sore because I was working them extra hard to get them to do what they normally did without exertion. It has now been two weeks since my treatment and the weakness is not as apparent and no longer bothers me--much.

Claims: The doc informed me that her patients often get about 6 months of dry palms from this procedure. I was happy to hear this because I kept reading 3 months on the web. I think this is because botox treatments of the face last about 3 months. For some reason palms are different. The doc also told me that it takes about two weeks to get the full effect of the botox. Sure enough, my hands dripped just as much  during the first few days after the treatment. It was around day 6 that my hands stopped sweating.

Results: Yes, they STOPPED sweating! I can hardly believe it. I haven't had drippy sweaty palms in over a week now! This is amazing! There have been a couple times when I worried that my hands were getting sweaty. Once, drying my hair in a hot, humid bathroom with lotion on my hands, they started to feel moist. I started to panic. But, they didn't progress from more than slightly moist. I realized this is probably what the non-hyperhidrosis sufferers experience from time to time--it's NORMAL! In the past, a little dampness on the hands and I would get anxious and it would turn into full blown dripping hands which usually led to dripping feet and underarms! No more!!

One more thing: Having dry palms hasn't solved all my problems (surprise!!). There are so many thought processes that have arisen from living a sweaty life. They are habitual and it takes work to change them. I have to remind myself to relax if I start to feel a bit overheated, etc. I do not need to "hide" or avoid certain situations out of fear of dripping with sweat.
 
I am curious to see how long this treatment lasts. I will continue to post on my progress for anyone interested in this procedure.

40 comments:

  1. I am extremely impressed with the view point. Thanks for sharing such useful information in your blog. A great content for getting the proper information regarding the subject.

    Botox For Sweating Cowbridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a little over six months since you had the Botox injections. Do you still have a favorable opinion of the treatment? Have you had to have a second treatment yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do apologize for not updating this blog.
      I had about 2 months of relief from the Botox injections. Unfortunately, I can't justify paying $1000 for a 2 month treatment. I am glad that I tried the procedure. I was at the point where I had to find out if it would work for me. If money weren't a factor I would give it a second go just to see....
      I wish you the best if you are searching for a solution to hyperhidrosis.

      Delete
  3. I'm very curious to hear how it is for you now Heather. I have never really considered the botox injections because I was scared of the pain from the needle. But now I have reconsidered. I am 26 years old and have had hyperhidrosis as long as I can remember (even before I knew what it was called). Somehow I convinced my doctor to recommend me for the Thoracoscopic Sympathectomy (http://thoracicsurgery.stanford.edu/patient_care/hyperhidrosis.html). That's right, I had the surgery. That was in 2006. 7 years later, I still have extreme sweating from my hands and feet. The only areas that seemed to subside somewhat are facial and armpit sweating. Being a young 20-something, I am working on my career and I get anxious when it comes to having to shake hands with other people in the business world. It's embarrassing and also gives off the vibe that you are nervous even if you aren't. It also makes dating very uncomfortable and makes the other person wonder why you are so sweaty. That being said, I am starting to think maybe this is the direction I can go. I am tired of letting my sweaty hands and feet control my life. I would love to hear about other people's experiences/recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry that the surgery didn't work for you. I am also sorry I haven't kept up to date on this blog.

      I had about 2 months of relief from Botox. Wish it had lasted longer! Supposedly it does for some.

      If you can afford it or can convince your insurance to cover it, I think it is worth a try. There is also the option of doing just one hand. I have heard that some people will get injections in the right hand so they can shake with a dry hand. It would be cheaper.

      For me it is so uncomfortable being wet that I decided to do both hands.

      I would recommend the numbing cream and the machine that blows freezing cold air. That helped with the pain.

      I understand your discomfort! I hate it that I appear nervous because I am sweaty and it is humiliating to shake hands when my hands are sopping wet.

      I would love to know how it works for you if you get the injections. I want to hear from an actual person who has had better luck with the procedure.
      I wish you the best!

      Delete
    2. Hi Heather, thank you for responding! I just saw your response today. Your response is exactly 6 months from your botox procedure. That's disappointing to hear it only lasted 2 months for you :( Why didn't you go through your doctor to try to get it covered by insurance? Or did you and they said no? Would you consider doing it again? I know exactly how you feel and I am tried of living with it. I have a doctor appt coming up this month and I am really praying that insurance will cover the procedure for me. I'll let you know how it goes if I can get the botox injections. Can I ask where you live? I'm in California and I think I might try it even if my insurance does not cover it. We'll see!

      Delete
    3. Hi,
      I am in WA state.
      I didn't go through my insurance because I have a huge deductible and knew I would be paying cash regardless.
      I am curious if anyone else in your family has hyperhidrosis? I know it seems to come from my mother's side of the family. A couple of my siblings have it too. Although none seem to get the sweaty drippy hands that I get. Lucky me!
      I hope you are able to get the procedure covered by insurance and that it works for you!!
      Keep me posted.
      Heather

      Delete
  4. Sorry, I didn't see your reply! Yeah, I'm worried it will be expensive for me too but we will see.
    Yes, my sister has it too. She also had the surgery and it seemed to be slightly more effective for her than me. We believe it came from our mom's side as well. Although she has never had as extreme sweating as we have. One thing I have noticed over the years (and I'm curious if you have too), I have short periods of time when my hands stay dry all day and other times it seems it is even worse than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather et k756, i cannot believe im reading words and feelings and facts that would normally in my surroundings only come from me and no one around me understanding what i really mean!!!!
    im really sorry to hear that your procedures did not work as wished for both of you...but i have a question for you k756; how was the surgery?? did you get any side effects apart from compensatory sweating if the case? because what i know is that it could be pretty dangerous and risky of a surgery? and which one did you do, the permanent one or clipping only of the nerves?
    thank you so much for your reply

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Halima,

      Unfortunately for me, the surgery was not effective and I do believe it made my foot sweat worse (compensatory sweating). My sister is also effected by hyperhidrosis and she had the surgery at the same time as me. We both had the permanent clipping of the nerves. My sister did see an improvement in her hand sweating even thought I did not. Neither of us had any negative side effects other than normal recovery from surgery. The only odd thing I experience is a sort of "phantom" tingle near the incision area that just tickles a bit. Yes, surgery is always risky but it was a risk I was willing to take. Even though it did not work for me, I do suggest you trying it if you are tired of living with your hyperhidrosis. The surgery is known to be most effective for palmar hyperhidrosis.

      Botox Update:
      I procrastinated but finally made an appointment with my doctor about botox injections. He sent me to a local dermatologist and they had me fill out a form and will submit the request to my insurance. I am praying they cover the cost, otherwise it is about $1000 for hands and $1000 for feet. The dermatologist says it typically lasts about 4 months. I asked her about pain and she said you are awake BUT they give you something to put you in a "twilight" state (I can't remember the name) so it is not too painful. I should hear from my insurance in about a month!

      Delete
  6. I heard all botox and fillers injections are done in standard way this standard process is not that great but I find a secret techniques that offers by wrinklewizard that are many times better than the standard applications??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Applying Botox was a great thing happen with me i am a fan of it and this thing is makeing my life smother i tried Laser hair removal courses too and both of these are serving me a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Price of Botox
    Varies on the effected area though botox treatment is a bit costly then any other treatments

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can u explain the reason for high botox treatment cost? As the cost of this treatment is very high when compared with others.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Everyone,
    Hyperhidrosis can meddle with a singular's day by day exercises. The execution of customary manual capacities, such getting a handle on items, could be hampered by having too much sweaty hands. Inordinate underarm sweat can stain attire, therefore constraining the developments of an individual who attempts to keep the sweat stains from indicating to evade shame. Furthermore whatever kind of shoes a sufferer wears, intemperate sweating of the feet will result in challenges.

    How to use Botox for hyperhidrosis

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have shared a great information about Non Surgical Nose Reshaping and Botox For Hyperhidrosis. Which are very informative for us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an intresting blog that you have posted, you shares a lot of things about Botox Injections for Sweating, Facial

    Skin Peel and Mesotherapy

    London
    . Which are very informative for us.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Heather, Nice blog very informative. I have same condition. Got 50Us in each palm. It worked in normal conditions palms were bone dry. But failed in social situations and in hot weather. I planning to increase the effectiveness by going 100Us on each palm. Technically If botox suits a person it shud block sweat no matter what is the trigger. Right? or is it just we still sweat in stressful situations but little less? How did it work for you are in social and high temperatures conditions? how many units did u get in each palm? Could you share the derm info?
    Thanks,
    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Have any of you tried Drysol or iontopheresis in concert with the Botox? I'm scheduled for Botox treatments on Dec. 9th and will be asking this question to teh Doc to see if it is done and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed reply. I have not tried those treatments together. Hope it went well for you!

      Delete
  15. Botox is one thing, but have you heard about viper venom serum? It's meant to have very similar effects to botox and is readily available and non invasive
    thanks
    Neha Verma

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello all,

    I just had my first botox injections on my right palm. About 50 injections. It was not painful at all because I used an anesthetic cream. The feeling was a bit annoying but very bearable. I should see a change in 5 days and I will be doing my left palm in 10 days. I will let you know how it goes for me. I hope it works :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have success with this treatment! Smart idea to have one palm done first. Let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  17. Interesting topic Before continuing, permit me to represent an inquiry. Why do you have wrinkles all over? Understanding this will give you a firm (no play on words expected) establishment before you can start to comprehend the impacts of botox. botox tunbridge wells

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very good article that is !
    I would just like to ask you one question:
    It's been 2 days since i've had botox for my sweaty hands but I do feel A BIT of a difference even though my hands are still sweating A LOT in places like classes or offices.
    Do you think there will be more improvement upon the next couple of days ? And could this be more of a progressive procedure ,where the production of sweat will decrease from one day fo another over the course of two weeks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm considering getting botox for sweaty hands. I've tried the drysol, Robinul. How do you like Botox and is it effective?!

      Delete
    2. Hi, I'm considering getting botox for sweaty hands. I've tried the drysol, Robinul. How do you like Botox and is it effective?!

      Delete
  19. Great post, protection data is where money should be spent! I agree. Not every website can afford responsive design. There are other things the money would be better spent on.
    Botox Treatments Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing Post, Millions of people are affected by hyperhidrosis, if you are one of them you need to know how to cure your Hyperhidrosis than Click here to get more details about this topic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hyperhidrosis is referred to as hyperhidrosis, and some people may have a tendency to excessive sweating, known as primary hyperhidrosis. Sweating can also be a symptom of several medical conditions, especially when the sweating is excessive or inappropriate. Many types of infections and cancers are associated with increased sweating that particularly occurs at night. Sweating may accompany hot flashes during the menopausal transition.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing this experience Heather. I am 22 years old and suffer from primary hyperhidrosis since childhood. My mother had it as well and outgrew soon in her teenage. I am planning for taking the Botox injections very soon. Is there any abnormal/excessive dryness of palms after the treatment?

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm also visiting this site regularly, this web site is really nice and the users are genuinely sharing good thoughts.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  24. You create sense out of the foremost complex topics.
    Gary Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  25. Botox injections can improve and relax frown lines. Learn about the risks, prices, and results.For more info click here

    ReplyDelete
  26. One of the major problems this condition causes is the body odor. On the other hand by using the Natural Treatment for Hyperhidrosis sweating you will be able to greatly decrease hyperhidrosis and body odor.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Botox is a popular cosmetic treatment used to reduce facial wrinkles as well as reduce signs of aging and relieve different medical conditions.For more information regarding Botox you can Visit Botox Treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  28. HERPES is a serious and recurring disease which can't be cure through drugs or injections by an American doctors but the best way to deal with Herpes is by taking natural herbs medicine for it, I have red about DR JAMES the great herbalist doctor who cured me from herpes with his powerful herbal medicine. I contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs!After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via UPS SPEED POST and it got to me after 3 days i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was cured!it's really like a dream but I am so happy! for the people suffering from herpes virus and any kind of diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,
    should contact him for his herbal medicine because i am a living testimony and i was cured of herpes and his medicine is legit. I sent him what he requested and he sent me his medicine which I took for 2 good weeks and today I am out here with a negative result. When I went for the test I was so happy after taking his herbal medication I paid homage to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. you can reach him through VIA E-mail drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com or whatsapp number:+2348152855846

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for sharing beneficial information and also visit my blog for better understanding Botox cost for Underarms Sweating in Dubai

    ReplyDelete